05 June 2007

It's a maze!

WW07 was extended to this weekend as the newlyweds, Mike and Sarah came to visit me over the weekend. When they got here Friday, we grabbed some food and went to Bar Pilar and the Black Cat for drinks. Saturday we all got up to run Race for the Cure, had brunch with my mom, and went to the Hirshhorn museum—site of highlight #1 from this weekend.

There are a couple of movies and /or lighting-dependent exhibits at the Hirshhorn, which require going into a dark room in order to view the piece. One such exhibit had a warning display before entering: “Please enter slowly to allow your eyes to adjust. Do not step on the white portion of the floor as this area constitutes exhibit space.”

So Mike, Sarah and I entered with caution, walked through the hallway, and walked into a square room. On the side of the room with the white floor area, there was a dim light exhibit. On the side of the room with the dark floor (where viewers are supposed to stay), there was a bench. We were the only people in the room besides a security guard (who we woke up from sleeping on the bench), so we sat down and watched the exhibit for a good minute before hearing another group making it’s way into the room.

All of the sudden this old man (60+) comes barreling into the square room with his arms out in front of him exclaiming “It’s a maze! It’s a maze!” He shuffled his way right across the room, and into the white portion of the exhibit. I am pretty sure he so blatantly broke the rules that the security guard really had no idea what to do about the situation.

At this point, Sarah and I are laughing so hard that it was actually inaudible hyperventilation. And just when we thought it couldn’t get any better, he continued to yell “It’s a maze!” and ran smack into the exhibit wall on the opposite side of the entrance.

His wife/ladyfriend was several feet behind him and was successful in keeping out of the white floor exhibit area, as the sign instructed. But she clearly didn’t heed the warning of "enter slowly to allow your eyes to adjust," because she turned to the bench area with her arms out in front of her and groped Mike up and down: “Is someone there?”

“Um-hey-whoa-yeah!”

At that, Sarah and I just could not take it anymore. We ran out of the “maze” and burst into laughter. About three minutes later, still in stitches and laughing out loud, we saw the couple leave the dark room exhibit and run past us.

Highlight #2 from the weekend was seeing “Knocked Up.” I laughed for a solid 2 hours. But I would warn you to only go see it with someone that you are totally comfortable with. Seriously raunchy. Do not go on a first date. Do not go on a 3rd date. Rachel and I went on our 108th date and I'm still not sure I can look her in the eyes after the birthing scene.

Kristen Wiig (SNL) and Jason Segal (Slackers) were actually my two favorite characters (both in supporting roles). And Paul Rudd and Seth Rogan were able to replicate the same hilarious chemistry that was so great in 40-Year Old Virgin (You wanna know how I know you’re gay? I saw you make a spinach dip in a loaf of sour dough bread once./You wanna know how I know you’re gay? You have a rainbow bumpersticker on your car that says "I love it when *balls* are in my face.”/That's *gay*?/ I'm ripping your head off right now. It's off, and now I'm throwing it at your body./FUCK YOU! ) My absolute favorite scene in “Knocked Up” involves Rogan & Rudd, Cirque Du Soleil, Magic Mushrooms, and Hotel Furniture. I could watch it over and over again. Go see it!

No comments: